24 February 2009

Policy change on Cuba?

Two years ago, I shared my opinion on the failure and injustice of the Cuban embargo. Now it seems that someone in Congress, a Republican no less, agrees. Senator Richard Lugar (R-Indiana) has stated that "the current U.S. policy has many passionate defenders, and their criticism of the Castro regime is justified. Nevertheless, we must recognize the ineffectiveness of our current policy and deal with the Cuban regime in a way that enhances U.S. interests." Thank you, Senator: I couldn't have said it better myself.

Perhaps this will finally lead to an end of the embargo. With the UN again calling for it's end, Obama in the White House, and a leading Republican on board, maybe it is time. There is a lot going on in our country right now: I look forward to the embargo's end being part of that change.

No comments: