04 August 2006

Year One: What I miss about the USA

It was one year ago this fine rainy morning that Heather and I arrived in Sydney (it was fine and rainy that day, too). After a year here and my recent trip back for a visit, I have given great thought to the similarities and differences between the two countries. In recognition of our one year anniversary here, I have compiled this list of the things I miss about America.
  1. Family
  2. Friends
  3. Dr Pepper
  4. Real milkshakes-They make them here, but they are nothing more than flavored milk.
  5. Snow cones
  6. ESPN-Available here if you have Foxtel (cable), which we don't. But even then, it isn't the same. Everything is tape delayed, and you don't get the same variety. And forget ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, etc.
  7. Wal Mart
  8. TexMex-The selection is extremely limited, and we have tried a few of them, but don't get your hopes up. We can't even get the proper ingredients at the store to make it at home.
  9. Do Not Call Registry-We get sales calls here ALL THE TIME.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There aren't Walmarts over there??? Come on...Walmart is EVERYwhere!!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

There is a place called Big W way out in Blacktown (way outer suburbs). It looks like a Walmart and smells like a Walmart, but everyone tells us it's not a Walmart.

There may be other Big Ws/Walmarts, but none in the city.

Anonymous said...

No TexMex? Oh man, that's awful. We finally got some Moe's up here in Cola town and I must eat there 2 or 3 times a week. Love the TexMex. I may never go down under now.

texnykazrus said...

There isn't even Tex-mex in New York. But I think there's a WalMart (or a reasonable facsimilie) in ChaingMai, Thailand. So I guess Australia sucks.