17 April 2007

It is time

I was saddened to see the news about the shootings at Virginia Tech yesterday. Saddened, but not surprised. It has happened too many times in recent years to still be a surprise.

It's time for gun control in the US. That is the only sane response I can think of, but unfortunately, I am already hearing the twisted call for more guns in the name of self defense. I can't tell you how many times today I have heard people quoting the Charlton Heston line: guns don't kill people, people kill people. Try telling that to 33 families this morning, Charlton.

After the Port Arthur Massacre in Tasmania in which 35 were killed, the Australian government passed gun reform laws. Port Arthur was the thirteenth mass shooting in eighteen years. There have been no mass shootings in the eleven years since.

The United States has refused to implement gun control, and has in fact allowed the Assault Weapons Ban to lapse. And these tragedies keep occurring.

And another thing, America: the rest of the world is shaking their head sadly. Australia's Prime Minister John Howard, a Bush yes man, even spoke up, saying that the negative gun culture in America would never become a negative in Australia.

My prayers go out to the families and friends of the dead and injured. My letter goes to my congressmen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more Chris.
To people that say, "People kill people, not guns", I ask them if they know how much harder it would be to kill someone without a gun. Anybody can kill with a gun. There's a small minority who are willing to kill with their own hands and strength.